Spill Cleanup

When a Spill occurs, it is very important to contact a DEQ licensed contractor in order to protect your company. Boomer Environmental is a DEQ licensed contractor with decades of experience to complete the job right the first time and keep you in compliance with local, state, and federal environmental laws, rules, and regulations.

According to the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality (https://www.deq.ok.gov/environmental-complaints-division/highway-remediation/) The Oklahoma Highway Remediation and Cleanup Services Act was created by SB 1938. The bill gave DEQ the authority to license, supervise, govern and regulate clean-up services and operators.

In brief, any company engaged in containment, removal and/or remediation of hazardous materials spills on highways in Oklahoma must be licensed by the DEQ.

What to do in case of a spill?

According to the Oklahoma Corporation Commission’s Website: 

If A Spill Occurs, What Should an Operator Do? 
Stop the spill at its source to prevent further discharge or release. This may involve shutting off a pump or closing a valve. Contain the spill to minimize the area impacted. This could involve the use of temporary dikes, emergency pits, or containment booms on water.  Recover the fluids from the impacted area using pumps, vacuum trucks or absorbent materials. Report the spill (if required to be reported) to the OCC and other agencies, as appropriate. Assess the site impacts. Determine the area and depth of soil affected, as well as any impacts to water,vegetation and animals. 

Restore the site. Any spill (even one not large enough to report) must be cleaned up and the site restored to beneficial use(s). This may involve treating or removing affected soils.  Review the remainder of this brochure for further requirements and other information. 

New Spill Discharge Report Form 
Field Operations OCC Guidelines for Responding to and Remediating Spills, available from the District and Oklahoma City offices, provides more information about the above topics.  Which Spills Are Required to Be Reported? 

Oklahoma Corporation Commission (OCC) requirements for reporting non-permitted discharges (spills) are found in Rule OAC 165:10-7-5. Spills most commonly involve crude oil, condensate, saltwater and drilling mud. 
Any spill to land must be reported to the OCC if it amounts to ten or more barrels of any substance used or produced in petroleum exploration or production. Also, a spill of any quantity of these substances that comes in contact with water must be reported. 
In addition, a spill of any hazardous substance used in exploration or production activities that meets the reportable quantity under the Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA), as found in 40 CFR Part 302.4, must be reported to the OCC and the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). Designated hazardous substances and their reportable quantities can be found at www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/index.html 
Who Should an Operator Call to Report A Spill? 
A verbal spill report must be made to the appropriate OCC District Office or Field Inspector within 24 hours of discovery. Refer to the map below that shows district boundaries. 
For reporting a spill after regular office hours, a list of field inspectors and their pager numbers is available on the OCC web site at www.occeweb.com or can be obtained by contacting the OCC Field Operations Department at (405) 521-2240. 
An incident number will be assigned, which will be used for tracking purposes. 
District I (NE Oklahoma) 115 W. Sixth St. Bristow, OK 74010-0779 (918) 367-3396 
District II (NW Oklahoma) 101 S. Sixth St. Kingfisher, OK 73750-1107 (405) 375-5570 
District III (SW Oklahoma) 1020 Willow St. Duncan, OK 73533-1525 (580) 255-0103 
District IV (SE Oklahoma) 1400 Hoppe Blvd Suite D Ada, OK 74820-2313 (580) 332-3441 

Is Any Follow-up Report Required? 
Within ten working days of discovery of a spill, a follow-up written or oral report that includes the following must be filed with the OCC District Office: 
Name of reporting party, firm name and telephone number.
Legal description of location (Section, Township, Range) 
Lease or facility name 
Circumstances surrounding the discharge and whether it was to land or water 
Date of occurrence 
Volumes discharged 
Method of cleanup (if any) undertaken and completed 
Volumes recovered 
How Long Should Spill Records Be Kept? 
Records of any spill reported to the OCC must be maintained for a minimum of three years. 
Should Anyone Else Be Contacted About A Spill? 

Spills of petroleum hydrocarbons into or upon navigable waters, as defined by 40 CFR 112.2, are required to be reported to the U.S. Coast Guards National Response Center. 
(800) 424-8802 (24-hour) 
Any spill that affects surface water in the watershed of a water supply lake should be reported to the
Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality. 
(800) 522-0206 (24-hour) 
Spills that are the result of motor vehicle accidents should be reported to the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. 
911 or *55 
In the event any spill results in the death of fish or wildlife, contact the Natural Resources Section of the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. 
(405)521-4616 (office hours) 
(405)990-5048 (after hours) 
When Can A Spill Incident Be Closed? 

The OCC District Office will likely close a spill incident upon meeting all the following: 
If all fluids were recovered promptly or the spill was contained within a lined diked area. 
If, after cleanup, there are no soils with a significant hydrocarbon stain and/or odor. 
If there is no likely impact to surface water or ground water. 
When the surface is revegetated or otherwise restored to the beneficial use(s). 
If these conditions are not or cannot be met, consult with the District Office or Field Inspector to
determine what should be done. Once these action(s) are performed, an operator may request closure. 
An Administrative Law Hearing may be requested to settle any disagreement over necessary action(s).
Also, the District Office may transfer a case needing prolonged assessment or remediation to the
Pollution Abatement Department. 
How Should Impacted Sites Not Caused by Recent Spills Be Handled? 
When impacts are found at a site that are not the result of a recent spill, it is a historically impacted site. 
If soils are impacted by petroleum hydrocarbons or brine, the site should be reported to the District
Office, which will assign an incident number. Consult with them on how to restore the site. 
If there are complex or unusually extensive impacts, or surface water or ground water has been or could
be impacted, the site should be reported to the Pollution Abatement Department at (405) 521-3085.
They will assign an incident number and give consultation on remediating the site. 
Published by the U. S. Department of Energy in cooperation with the Oklahoma Corporation
Commission, October 2002.